Friday 10 September 2010

A Vision At Museum Ludwig, Cologne (with Dali's Help)

Here is what true art should do: in the Ludwig Museum, Koln, after spending 10 minutes closely inspecting the work and the confounding of perception it engendered, all of a sudden this painting physically threw me back twenty feet when I saw what I had missed: the Hidden Sacred!

I do not exaggerate. It physically threw my body across the gallery in a profound sacred moment. This is what art should do: confound, physically move, transcend.

It was the first, but not the last, sacred moment that took place on Fri Sept 3rd...

...and it continued. Five minutes, or perhaps an eternity, later I began to approach this sacred work of art with arms out. My good friend Katarina was sitting behind me watching me and as I got closer, in her view I lined up with the Christ figure almost perfectly.

She told me to raise a hand a little higher, and with a mind barely able to comprehend what was happening, I obeyed. "Raise the other hand a little higher, yes, that's it. Perfect."

And Katarina had put me into the painting. I became this painted Christ. I hung there for a few moments.... until the spell gently broke and I finally sat down with eyes opened. This is what art should do...

No comments:

Post a Comment